Main Reflective Case Study
The aim of this assignment is to write an essay which uses the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett- Jones et al., 2010) to present, analyse and reflect on a clinical decision based on a patient scenario that you have been involved in.
1) Explain the background situation, including current and related patient or case information and other influencing factors related to the clinical decision within the context of nursing practice and health care delivery. Provide relevant information including the pathophysiology or psychosocial aspects.
2) Provide a clear description of the clinical decision making process incorporating all of the eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones et al., 2010). You only need to discuss one example of a clinical decision. The clinical decision you select can be a decision that went well or one with a negative outcome.
3) Explain the factors which influenced this clinical decision including the effectiveness of actions and explore errors which may have occurred.
4) Use a reflective model to reflect upon your experience of this process, including the negative and positive aspects of the decision and what aspects you could change for future nursing practice for yourself or other nurses. This may also include wider professional development for nurses.
5) Link your discussion to the relevant National Competency Standards for the Registered Nurse.6) Ensure you use at least ten (10) different sources from the scholarly literature.
7) Ensure you maintain confidentiality. Do not discuss the facility, nurse or patient by name. Assignment has as an opening paragraph that contextualises the assignment.
INTRODUCTION & CONCLUSION (10 Marks)
? Clearly identifies the aim of the assignment.
? Has a concluding paragraph that summarises the overall argument in the
? Does not introduce any new information or references in the
CRITERIA ONE: BACKGROUND TO THE CASE STUDY (10 Marks)
? Clearly describes the background to the case study including current and related patient information and succinctly describes the chosen decision.
? Uses scholarly literature appropriately to support the discussion
CRITERIA TWO: CLINICAL REASONING CYCLE (20 Marks)
? Clearly analyses the factors influencing the clinical decision in relation to all of the eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle.
? Uses scholarly literature appropriately to support the discussion.
CRITERIA THREE: REFLECTION (20 Marks)
? Critically reflects on the experience of the decision making process. ? Uses a reflective model appropriately to support the discussion.
CRITERIA FOUR: RECOMMENDATION (20 Marks)? Makes recommendations for a course of action that could be followed or which could be used by nurses for future practice
? Uses scholarly literature appropriately including the relevant National Competency Standards for the Registered Nurse to support the discussion.
PRESENTATION AND STRUCTURE (10 Marks)
? Conforms to the Assignment Presentation Formatting Guidelines. o Correct word count (2000 words +/- 10%).Uses academic
o Essay is well presented, with correct spelling, grammar, and
well-constructed sentence and paragraph structure.
REFERENCING (10 Marks)
? Essay is supported with no fewer than 10 different sources from the scholarly literature.
? Referencing as per APA Style 6th Edition. ? Separate page for reference list.