APA Format 500+ words and Citation/Reference requirements: include at least two high quality references and show citations per APA standard.
Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the following memory management techniques:
- Fixed Partitioning: Main memory is divided into a number of static partitions at system generation time. A process may be loaded into a partition of equal or greater size.
- Dynamic Partitioning: Partitions are created dynamically, so that each process is loaded into a partition of exactly the same size as that process.
- Simple Paging: Main memory is divided into a number of equal-size frames. Each process is divided into a number of equal-size pages of the same length as frames. A process is loaded by loading all of its pages into available, not necessarily contiguous, frames.
- Simple Segmentation: Each process is divided into a number of segments. A process is loaded by loading all of its segments into dynamic partitions that need not be contiguous.
- Virtual-Memory Paging: As with simple paging, except that it is not necessary to load all of the pages of a process. Nonresident pages that are needed are brought in later automatically.
- Virtual-Memory Segmentation: As with simple segmentation, except that it is not necessary to load all of the segments of a process. Nonresident segments that are needed are brought in later automatically.