It is important to consider factors influencing physical, cognitive, and socioemotional development long before the baby arrives. In this discussion, you will examine the relative roles of genetics and the environment. Environmental effects on development include both macrocultural and microcultural influences. Macrocultural influences are the broader influences on a child’s development, such as mass media, religious denomination, societal rules, or educational norms. Microcultural influences are those on a small scale, such as family eating habits, traditions, hierarchical structures, and routines.
Based on the principles of behaviorism, John B. Watson argued, tongue-in-cheek, that he could take a healthy baby and make him into a lawyer, doctor, or thief. Sandra Scarr argued that often a child’s genetic predispositions override the influence of the environment.
Based on what you have learned so far about development, select a well-known movie that addresses the nature-versus-nurture question. Some examples are: The Blind Side, Rudy, and A Beautiful Mind. You are not limited to these choices. With reference to the film, in the Discussion Area, respond to the following:
- How influential is the role of genetics in the child’s development?
- What about the role of the environment, temperament, and teratogenics, among others?
- Explain Watson’s and Scarr’s perspectives, according to what you have learned in your book. What would each say about the character(s) in the movie?
- Given what you have learned this week, do you agree with Watson, Scarr, both, or neither?
Support your arguments with research, citing sources. Be sure your primary source of information is the textbook. Supplement with peer-reviewed journal articles from the online library as needed.
- By the due date assigned, post your 200- to 300-word response to the Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, review and respond to the questions submitted by at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking questions, providing or asking for statements of clarification, and drawing conclusions. Offer your own assessments insights and issues mentioned by your classmates.
- All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources. Use this APA Citation Helperas a convenient reference for properly citing resources.
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40