This is a three-part assignment. Specific directions for each of the three parts are outlined below. This assignment should be uploaded as ONE document that includes all three parts. A comprehensive reference page that lists the sources used in all three parts of the assignment should be included at the end of the document.
Part 1– Ethical and Legal Viewpoint
- Volunteerism – What standards do you need to uphold if you are in a voluntary position or providing free/pro bono work?
- Self-disclosure – Would you disclose personal information to a client? If so, when and how is it appropriate?
- Objectivity – Why is it important to remain objective for your client?
- Self-care – How will you balance your life?
- Spirituality – How will you maintain your spirituality in and out of practice?
Be sure to cite professional code of ethics and/or articles to support your statements.
Part 2– Disposition Analysis
Choose three of the dispositions required of professional counselors. Write a 250-500 word personal reflection on the dispositions that you chose. Make sure to discuss some of the strengths you have in maintaining the dispositions as well as any challenges you may face in upholding the dispositions.
Part 3– Professional Organization Research
Often times, professional counselors are ethically required to join a professional counseling organization. Even if not required, it is good practice to do so. Research a professional organization that you might join such as the American Counseling Association, your state’s counseling association, an association for addictions counselors such as NAADAC, or another relevant professional organization.
Write a 500-750 word overview of the organization or association you chose. Include the following in your overview:
- Membership benefits
- Available activities and/or services to members
- Current issues addressed by the organization that are relevant to the counseling profession (These items are usually listed on the association’s website, but you may research elsewhere for one or two current issues in the field. Examples of current issues could include lobbying efforts for particular populations or specialties in the field, proposed or changing laws/regulations, high profile court cases involving ethical violations, or the like.)
Be sure to cite resources used for this part of the assignment.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.